Wednesday, October 1, 2008

PR

I apparently misunderstood this assignment so I'm gonna give it another go.  
Pr is a hard concept to understand sometimes.  I'm guilty of confusing it with Marketing, myself.  From what I can gather, it is a way for a company to handle the way it is viewed in the public Eye. It is a way to manage public opinions of a company.  I've seen companies get involved in the local community by starting/sponsoring little league teams.  Giving money to museums and other very public charities.  Does anyone know exactly how effective these things are in creating a positive public image for a company?  

3 comments:

Kristie Aylett, APR said...

If a company produces a sub-par product, pollutes the environment, or takes advantage of its workers, etc., no amount of community involvement and charitable support would be enough. Goes back to the "lipstick on a pig" analogy. Public Relations goes beyond simple gestures of goodwill or boasting about accomplishments. It's about doing the right things as an organization while developing relationships with the right people so they know about what you're doing and can help you make it make it even better. And by right people, I don't mean a specific group, I mean the key audiences that impact your organization or that you impact. It gets interesting.

Kgal9520 said...

For me, those actions simply reinforce what I feel about a company. If they're a "sub par" business, then what I'll think is they're perhaps trying to cover up something worse than what they've shown to the public. If they're a "good" company, then I have no reason to suspect shady tactics and keep thinking good thoughts. If they're average, I supppose it could sway my judgement in favor of them.

andrea said...

My husband's family was in the private healthcare buisness for over 30 years. We have been involved in many charitable and social events on the coast. For us, it was the cornerstone of our buisness to be a part of the community and make our service visable. I think the impact really depends on the type of buisness you are in. Although I think all buisnesses can benefit from putting a human face out in the community.